Creating Opportunities for Music and Dance Students Throughout Orange County
OC Music & Dance believes that every student should have access to an arts education regardless of their ability to afford it. Giving students the opportunity to learn music and dance, no matter their financial circumstance, is one of our greatest joys.
OCMD Need-Based Financial Assistance
Through our endowment fund, we offer financial assistance to school age students, 18 and under, for lessons, classes, and ensembles. Eligibility and award amounts are based on financial need, family size, and extenuating circumstances. For returning students, attendance, commitment and participation are also deciding factors in determining eligibility.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Monday, July 20, 2020
Financial assistance applications for the 2020-2021 academic year, starting August 31st, are now available. Click the link below to read more about our Financial Assistance Guidelines and to fill out an application online. Please have your 2019 tax returns available to upload as well as any other documentation that supports your financial circumstances. Please be sure to black out any confidential information, including social security and account numbers. For questions or to request a hard copy of the application mailed to you, please email email@example.com.
• All financial assistance award decisions and notifications will be sent to the applicant via email no later than Monday, August 10, 2020.
• If financial assistance is awarded, you will receive an official award letter that should be signed and returned to OCMD no later than 4:00 pm on Monday, August 24, 2020.
• As part of the financial assistance program, we would like to receive short statements of acknowledgement from recipients explaining why the program is important to you/your child. These statements encourage individual donors, corporations, and foundations to contribute to the financial assistance fund. These statements may be given to the front desk to forward to OCMD’s Financial Assistance Committee.
• The terms, conditions, and amounts of financial assistance are confidential, and will not be disclosed to non-school personnel. Recipients should also keep this information confidential.
• Students risk forfeiting their financial assistance award due to:
— Unpaid tuition that is more than 30 days overdue.
— Excessive unexcused absences and tardiness.
— Failure to come prepared to private lessons or classes.
— Failure to register for lessons or classes during the applicable academic year.
• OCMD reserves the right to reassess and change the financial assistance program and award amounts at any time. Should your award be affected, you will be notified prior to the next billing cycle.
• Lessons or classes taken prior to the receipt of a financial assistance award will be charged at the full tuition rate.
Frequently Asked Questions
At what income level am I eligible for financial assistance? If my tax return states over that amount, should I still apply?
Total household income reported on the 2019 tax return must not exceed $85,000 annually. However, we recognize that the tax return may not take into account all circumstances. If you feel that your tax return does not adequately reflect your financial circumstances, we invite you to apply.
Are there age requirements for financial assistance? Can adult students receive financial assistance?
All financial assistance is awarded to students under age 18 and enrolled in school. Students who turn 18 during their high school year may continue utilizing their award through the end of OCMD’s spring semester. Unfortunately, financial assistance is currently unavailable to students over age 18.
Can students receive financial assistance for private lessons? For group classes?
Yes! Financial assistance may be awarded for private lessons, group classes, and core curriculum classes, if applicable.
For what length of time is financial assistance awarded?
Financial assistance is awarded for the current academic year, and applies to a specific lesson or class of a specified duration. Any changes and/or additions to classes must be approved by OCMD’s Financial Assistance Committee.
Can students receive financial assistance for private lessons and group classes at the same time?
OCMD does not provide simultaneous awards for private lessons and group classes, unless an instructor invites the student to participate in a core curriculum class, such as Music Skills or an ensemble.
Can students receive financial assistance for two different private lessons at the same time?
OCMD cannot provide simultaneous financial assistance award for two different private lessons.
Is financial assistance available for the Little Stars Early Childhood Program?
OCMD does not provide financial assistance for the Early Childhood Music and Dance classes at this time.
What are core curriculum classes? Are they a part of the OC Music and Dance financial assistance program?
Core curriculum classes, such as Music Skills Class, Ensemble Class, and Performance Class, are classes for students who are already enrolled in a regular private lesson or group class. These classes exist to enhance the student’s abilities. Students may join core curriculum classes at the discretion of the instructor and may be eligible to receive additional financial assistance, if available.